Sunday, January 24, 2010

Art Of Another Time?

Does the world look better in black and white? I set down to go through photos making edits as necessary, occasionally I begin toying with the settings to an extreme. Almost always I come up with an incredible black and white image. Well maybe I should say I come up with a black and white image that looks incredible to me. I understand that most people prefer color and see black and white as an art of another time.

However the B&W photography of today is not the same as in your Grandparents time. Cameras and imaging software of today are so powerful that they can capture the brightest of whites and the darkest of blacks within a single image along with every shade in between. When I process many of the photos I have taken I usually end up deleting near half. Once in a while I take those photos I would ordinarily toss and see how they come out as a black and white photo. I have learned over the years that I usually find a gem without color.

Over the next year I hope to do more with B&W. I plan to upload many of the photos to Flickr and to my website. I hope you will take some time to explore B&W and maybe give it a try with your photography.

No comments: