Saturday, January 9, 2010

A Father's Eye's

  Geniuses 4-7
4 "You won't die!" the serpent replied to the woman.5 "God knows that your eyes will be opened as soon as you eat it, and you will be like God, knowing both good and evil."   6 The woman was convinced. She saw that the tree was beautiful and its fruit looked delicious, and she wanted the wisdom it would give her. So she took some of the fruit and ate it. Then she gave some to her husband, who was with her, and he ate it, too. 7 At that moment their eyes were opened, and they suddenly felt shame at their nakedness. So they sewed fig leaves together to cover themselves.

As I read through the Bible I make note of things that draw my attention, and this story of Adam and Eve begs a question. Verse 6 ends with these words (" she wanted the wisdom it would give her"). Wisdom that the forbidden fruit would bring to Gods creation's. So the question is, what is wrong with wisdom? The human race since its beginning has been in search of wisdom. So we have to wonder if not for the forbidden fruit would God have given us wisdom instead of a desire to gain wisdom.

I look at this verse in 2 different ways, first as a man attached to no one and alone in the world with my thoughts. As a man I want knowledge and wisdom now, I am impatient and I have a desire to try all things without worry. The second way to look at this question is as a father, and from that view I want to shield my son from gaining too much knowledge to quickly. I want to protect my son's youth and innocence for as long as possible. That is not too say that I want to keep wisdom from him, but I do want to match his wisdom with his maturity.

I believe the story of Adam and Eve needs to be read through the eyes of a father because when you read these words with a different understanding you will find a loving father broken hearted that his children's innocence has ended.

No comments: